All of our events (excluding the film screening) will take place in Lecture Room 4 on the first floor of the Arts Building. On Friday we also have Room 237 on the second floor booked as a quiet space for those who need it. You can find information about directions here. All rooms will be clearly sign posted.
Thursday 12 September 2019
11am-1pm – Masterclass on Working with Popular Genres (open to all, especially current students and postdocs). Full details here.
3pm – Screening of The Sheik (1921) and panel discussion at MAC, Birmingham (more information and tickets at https://macbirmingham.co.uk/event/the-sheik).
- Panel discussion featuring Ali Williams, Claire Jesson and Pauline Suwanban
Friday 13 September 2019
10-11:15 – Academic panel on The Sheik
- Pauline Suwanban, Beastly Figures: The Sheik and Fairy Tales
- Francesca Pierini, The Legacy of E.M. Hull’s The Sheik on the Depiction of the Italian Romantic Hero in Harlequin Short Contemporaries
- Respondent: Amy Burge
- Chair: Melissa Dickson
12:00-1.15pm – Author and editor panel on diversity in popular romance publishing
- Featuring Ali Williams, Ria Cheyne, Eleanor Harkstead and Jeevani Charika/Rhoda Baxter
1.15pm-2pm – Lunch (vegetarian; optional; £5 per person)
2pm-3pm – Learning and Teaching The Sheik
- A conversation with Professor Deborah Longworth and Professor Eric Selinger
3:30-4:30pm – Final roundtable and discussion – where now for The Sheik?